Frequently Asked Questions
Below are answers to some common questions about the Pile Mount LiftBoat Lift product.
What makes your system so much better than traditional cable-winding lifts?
There are several advantages to our hydraulic boat lift over traditional lifts that wind cables around a pole or drum. Below are just a few of the many:
- Speed – lift speeds exponentially faster result in safer and more convenient operation. Because the platform comes up quicker, it reduces your time needed to hold the boat in place.
- Longevity – We offer the best warranty in the industry (by far!). Hydraulic lifts do not wind cables creating much less stress on the cables. This allows us to confidently offer an industry leading 15-year warranty on the cables and structure. Watch our video animation of the Cylinder Operation.
- Hassle-Free – Unlike traditional lifts that can be over-wound or "bird nest" when the cables go slack, our hassle-free cable design makes it impossible for these head-ache situations to occur. We have created a system that protects the user from the lift, and vice-versa!
- Reliability – 24v DC power with solar charging not only saves you electrical costs, but it adds reliability that the lift will work in any conditions. More importantly, it keeps your waterfront safer when you don't have to worry about electrical currents near the water.
- Visit our hydraulic comparison guide for more side-by-side advantages of the ShoreStation Hydraulic Boat Lift vs Traditional Lifts Comparison Guide.
What kind of maintenance is required to keep the lift in good and operable condition?
One of the best features of this system is that it is virtually maintenance free. You don't have to worry about annual inspection costs, greasing gears, or replacing or repairing cables. The only required maintenance is replacing your battery when it dies, which is commonly 3-5 years. You can even leave the battery outside all winter long if it is hooked up to the solar panel or battery tender and continues to get a charge.
What kind of batteries do you recommend?
Deep cycle group 24 marine batteries are recommended.
Is this lift cumbersome to operate and troubleshoot?
Simplicity is the trademark of the system. The lift is easily operated with the single push of a wireless remote and has built-in user safety factors that ensure the user cannot cause any damage to the boat or system itself. If a rare situation does arise where the lift is not working properly, the system can most commonly be diagnosed and fixes on-site without any major tools or repair.
What kind of hydraulic fluid is used, and how often do I need to change it?
We include Jax Marine Blue hydraulic fluid with all lifts. Rarely will you experience a leak, but in the event that is does happen the fluid is biodegradable and EPA approved. We recommend replacing the fluid every 10 years.
If necessary, can the hydraulic cylinder be replaced?
Yes, in the unlikely event of a cylinder failure, it can be replaced. It is also possible to rebuild the cylinder and install new seals. This would be a rare occurrence in our experience. I would equate it to rebuilding your transmission in your car…this usually occurs after 250K miles.
What is FlexPower®?
ShoreStation broke the mold when it engineered its FlexPower® system, resulting in one of the fastest lifts on the market. DC battery power is the brawn behind FlexPower®, purposely chosen for its safety and superior performance over AC in marine environments.
With FlexPower®, the battery acts as a buffer between the power supply and lift. Flexpower delivers maximum and constant power to the motor for fast lift times, ensuring years of trouble-free operation.
FlexPower® also removes the worry of battery drain and maintenance. Choose from out totally automatic power supplies - solar or battery tender. These charging systems keep the battery at peak power taking the hassle out of battery maintenance.
Why is ShoreStation® heavily promoting DC power?
Reliable DC power delivers maximum and constant power, resulting in the fastest lift time of any power system available. No more worrying about low voltage AC power supplies. DC also yields 6 – 8 cycles on a fully charged battery. The Battery Tender or solar panel automatically recharges the battery with no daily maintenance.
How can I tell the carrying capacity of a lift?
The first two numbers listed in the model number indicate the capacity in hundreds of pounds.
How do I find parts for my lift?
We'll help you get the right parts the first time. Visit www.shorestation.com/parts for more information.